Thursday, June 23, 2011

Some encouragement

Well, after getting my infected implant out, I am once again starting to feel like myself again. Able to keep up with Parker, Dasher and our birdies as well as a houseful of laundry, cooking and cleaning. I love it. My energy is returning and I have lots that I want to do.

I worked up the courage to look at my lab results- specifically a blood cancer antigen test, ca2729. Shortly after my stage IV diagnosis, the value was 99, but just last week it was 76! So that plus the absence of pain in my back would suggest that the Xeloda + Tykerb is working!!!

What a vote of confidence- I feel like I may actually get more time than I expected. I know the doc said that a homerun (aka "remission") was a possibility, but I didn't really expect that could happen. So I have lots to be thankful for and I'm more hopeful than ever. I was so thrilled by this prospect that I actually had a dentist appointment, thinking- well I might stick around awhile. Hell, I might even start planning some vacations for next year too.

Although the value is still not normal (under 40 is normal), and it would need to continue to decrease for assurance of a physiological response to treatment- I am still celebrating. Little victories count at this stage of the game.

Met with the radiation oncologist this morning, she was happy with the appearance of the skin, but concerned about swelling and some fluid collection in the axilla. So maybe down the road, we will try and drain those areas. But thankfully, I have nothing artificial in my body anymore so nothing can get infected! Still on antibiotics of course.

Parker is doing great- consistently eating yogert with a spoon, but look out, its a messy process. Its also more dipping that scooping at this point. I've included a bunch of pictures, some from golfing and some from Parker's meal times.



1 comment:

  1. That's wonderful news!! I'm so happy to hear it! Your positive attitude can only help in your journey towards home plate! <3

    ReplyDelete