Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Denied social security disability

Grrrr, as if we as graduate students go unappreciated, are paid poorly, offered almost no benefits and have to work odd long hours we are also not able to get social security disability.
And I understand, yeah we don't pay social security, so yes, we don't "earn it" but seriously I was never given the choice to pay it.

Being a graduate student for 7 years now, I have never had more than a temporary job (summer jobs during college), and so I haven't paid in enough credits to qualify. I can just imagine had Patrick and I never met, I'd be graduating from grad school- no chance of ever getting life insurance, barely able to afford my treatments- even with the UI grad. care health insurance, and be living alone with no hope of ever having a family. I'm so thankful I found Patrick, he is so supportive and is allowing me to stay at home with our little angel.
I guess things aren't as bleak as they could be.

1 comment:

  1. Very sorry to hear that your disability claim was denied. Over 60% of application are denied. Have you filed for an appeal and/or got your hearing date.

    The hearing will be the best chance for you to get approved. Almost 60% of claims are approved at the hearing level.

    ReplyDelete