Saturday, October 1, 2011

Especially for you walk is tomorrow!

Treatment is going fine and nothing new to report there. I have a doctor's appointment on Wednesday this week so I'm alittle anxious about that. I hope my cancer markers are down (keep your fingers crossed).

For all you researchers out there, I'm planning to ask my oncologist about adding Chloroquine to my chemo regimen. Its normally used in the prevention of malaria, but recent data suggests that when added to anti-Her-2 therapies it can also prevent autophagy. Autophagy is the process by which cells (ie. cancer cells) degrade/eat unnecessary cellular components (organelles, etc) to obtain energy when energy is scarce. So the thought is that cancer cells can use autophagy to survive (hibernate) during chemo treatments, then when conditions are good again and chemo is done, the cancer cells can resume growing normally. I've only read about combining chloroquine with herceptin, so I'll have to ask if he thinks it might work with tykerb.

On an exciting note, the Especially for You Walk is tomorrow in Cedar Rapids. I am eager to see alot of new and old friends and hopefully meet some survivors at stage IV. Walk starts at 8, and we will have heart-shaped balloons tied to our stroller if you want to walk with us. Hope to see you there.

Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment