Tuesday, October 11, 2011

New game plan

So doctor's appointment was what we expected and not what we feared most. Lungs, Liver and brain were clear and mild progression in the bones- vertebra T9 and more of the pelvis. So now there are 5 spots in the bones. Hard to say how big they are because imagine techniques only indicate bone/cancer activity.

New systemic treatment will include Gemzar and Carboplatin and I will restart Herceptin. TDM1 compassionate use trials just closed, so I won't be able to get that until fall of 2012. Nice thing with the new drugs is they have few side effects, some fatigue and nausea but no hair loss! Plus I can say good bye to the hand and foot syndrome and the lactose intolerance. So hopefully the pounds don't just pile back on after I'd lost some weight (the only perk of my tykerb). No pre-meds, so no prednisone or benadryl on treatment days, so I don't think I'll need to sleep the whole weekend after treatments either.

For those of you interested, I've included a hair update (see picture).

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the update! That is good news (who would think we would say such a thing!) Sounds like the meds will be "better" this time and it's a blessing you won't be sick, sick, sick and having to take extra meds just so you can take the cancer meds!
    You'll be able to enjoy your time with Parker and Patrick even more! Looks like Parker is a little shopper! Great picture of the two of you, by the way!!
    You'll have to post new pix of the house when you can? Do they have a time table when you might move in? Can't imagine all the decisions you have to make when you build a new house!
    Thanks again for the update! Love to you and your sweet family! luv-k

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi
    Saw your guest post on CURE and just wanted to say hello. If you havent, pls check out www.mbcn.org.
    Rock on
    kOB

    http://ihatebreastcancer.wordpress.com/2011/09/20/sally-drees-is-from-iowa-and-she-wants-you-to-donate-1-for-two-great-causes/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, saw your post on CURE. I'm an Iowan and a 4-year BC survivor (not able to stage, but treated like stage 3). Mets are my biggest fear; that "cloud" is always there, even when the test results are good. Your story is a perfect example of my mantra--you are your own best advocate. Thank goodness you keep pushing until you get answers. It sounds like you are squeezing in as much quality time as you can with family and friends. That's the biggest lesson I've learned from my own cancer experience. When I participate in Komen Iowa's Race for the Cure next week, I'll add your name to the list on my shirt and walk in your honor. I'll be keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete