Friday, May 27, 2011

Chemo is on the way!

Just got word that my first shipment of Tykerb is on its way and I should be able to start treatments before the weekend! The other drugs I will be taking are Xgeva (shot every month) and then Xeloda. The side effects are not supposed to be too bad, some rashes and sores on the palms of hands and feet.

I've gotten in touch with Imerman Angels and was introduced to a gal in a very similar situation as me, but she's 4 years into it. What a relief to know that I'm not alone. She's given me alot of hope that I will be able to stay at home and take care of Parker despite treatments and side effects. She made the comment that fighting metastatic cancer is like a chess game- cancer makes a move, then our doctors re-evaluate their strategy and make their move. Can't wait till we get this cancer in check or better yet check-mate!

My doctor said that a few individuals with a similar diagnosis have responded so well to treatments, that they zapped their residual bone spots with radiation and then eventually stopped treatment altogether! He referred to that response as a home-run, very cautious to use the word cure. But call it what you want, wouldn't that be amazing! Those individuals are still monitored very heavily and the cancer could pop back up at anytime, but what a thought!

Looking forward to doing some lite traveling this summer, we are going to Omaha in a few weeks, Pittsburgh in July, and in August we'll spend some time in Wisconsin Dells (only 20 minutes from where I grew up). Don't want to travel too far yet, as Parker isn't keen on being cooped up in a car or plan for that long.


1 comment:

  1. Great news! Glad that the side effects are somewhat minimal! The Dells has changed a lot since you were probably there last, no more Family Land, lol, and Riverview is barely hanging on. Lots of huge indoor water parks. I am in Portage, so if you want to meet up just let me know!
    Tara

    ReplyDelete