Sunday, May 29, 2011

Antibiotics not cutting it

So I've been receiving i.v. antibiotics every 12 hours and they haven't really showed efficacy. The doctor's think that its 99% likely that the implant will need to come out. My plastic surgeon won't be back from Kansas until Tuesday, so sometime thereafter would be the soonest we could plan that surgery. Sadly, they won't be able to put a new implant in for a few months, so in the meantime- I maybe pretty deflated.

I found website for women who'd been 10+ years living with metastatic breast cancer, and there is a common theme for these women- they are usually young (like me), they have limited metastatic disease (I only have 2 bone mets) and they respond well to chemo drugs (I've never gotten sick from any of my drugs). So I'm really optimistic that I fit into that category and I can be around for some time before the disease progresses significantly.

On a side note, my thesis committee has decided to allow me to graduate without writing a lengthy thesis! I've met all the requirements- I passed comps, I have a primary research paper, and a review. That is such a relief, because I have about 1 month of work to do on my thesis and then I would need to prepare for the oral presentation. Although a month isn't very long, for me its an eternity and I can't afford to spend that time working on a degree I'll never use. I'm hoping that my science career isn't over, but it looks like it may be. Time will tell. Either way, family is my priority now.

No comments:

Post a Comment