Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Lots to be thanful for

Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. My Thanksgiving was bittersweet, it being the first holiday without my mother. Nonetheless we had much to be thankful for, family, friends & our health. You may think, health- well your not healthy. Actually I am very healthy even with my cancer, and it could always be much much much worse- so for that I am very thankful.

Doctor's appointment last week went fine, blood work showed some changes in liver enzymes- but still within the normal ranges. Tumor markers, which took a week to get, are basically the same. So it is again bittersweet- but could be much much worse. Last month they were 102, and this month they are down to 96. I was really hopeful that they would fall and I could have more confidence in this therapy, but once again I need to embrace the unknown. It is very very very encouraging that they didn't rise, and the doctor says that he is happy if they stabilize at this level and don't change. So for this I am very very very thankful.

So at the very least, I get another month on this therapy- and can relish in the lack of side effects and can be comforted that the therapy is working. Thanks!

4 comments:

  1. Kristin,

    I saw this link on Patrick's FB, I did not know you had a blog. I hope you remember me, I worked with Patrick at Black Hawk County and our kids are nearly the same age. I have not seen you since the bridge opening.

    I have frequently thought about you and prayed for you. I figured if you were randomly coming to my mind you needed prayer at that time.

    I saw your comment in the upper left corner and wanted to let you know I am walking with you. I actually may be in your area, maybe we could all do dinner or a playdate.

    Anne Duncan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristin,

    I am glad that you could have a really and truly thankful Thanksgiving. I know that the presence of your mom memories are you giving you strength through your treatment and wisdom as a new mother with Parker.

    I am happy that your condition is stable and hope for the best during the remaining month of treatment.

    When will be your commencement? Dr. Kristin, you're truly "hawkish". I am waiting to see you on your doctoral cap and gown.

    Best regards,
    Nilda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristin,
    You've been in my thoughts. Happy holidays to you and yours. We miss you around the lab neighborhood. best, Gwen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An oncologist (recently deceased) at the cancer center I go to used to say, "Cancer schmancer, as long as you've got your health!" This post made me think of that. I have Stage IV breast cancer too, so I hear you.

    ReplyDelete