Thursday, August 11, 2011

Everything is quiet for now


Great doctor's appointment yesterday. Blood work was looking better, liver enzymes getting closer to normal, and in a few days we'll have the results of the ca27.29 blood test. Doc said that in 2-3 months we'll repeat the PET scan and see how the bone mets have responded. I'm trying not to get my hopes up.... but things are looking really positive. I discussed with him the idea of oligometastases and he said we won't know if that's my situation for 5-10 years. I'm embracing this notion because it suggests that metastasis proceeds in a step wise fashion so that it can be caught or stopped at intermediate stages before it become systemic and more difficult to treat.

I'm also excited because he said that down the road, if I can stay NED, we can drop one of the drugs and maybe even someday (years down the road), I could even drop the other one. I'd be totally off chemo!!!! This has my heart pounding really hard because it could mean a normal life again and maybe even a second child! Don't get me wrong, life right now is really great and my side effects are not a big deal at all (right now). But for the meantime, I'm not pushing my luck and I'm just so thankful to be here and more or less healthy.

Interestingly the doctor even said that he'd like me to "get a job", I was totally confused. Apparently he thinks that it'd be healthy for me to interact with some adults in a professional manner outside the home. He really wants me to get back to as close to normal as possible. Well, little does he know that I'd don't want the old normal.... I want a new and improved normal. Plus I really love being home, I'm super crafty and love coming up with new projects and activities with Parker. Plus I do get out and socialize with other moms.

We're headed for vacation on Friday. One whole week of R and R at Lake Redstone in WI with some of our friends. Can't wait- doc even gave me his blessing to do some waterskiing and yes have a couple beers! Heee heee

Loving LIFE!

No comments:

Post a Comment