Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Going LIVE......pray I say something intelligent

Greetings Family, Friends & Guests-
As a member of the Metastatic Breast Cancer Network (MBN), and it being Pinktober, I was asked to do a live interview on KWWL; channel 7 (the local NBC) station about living with metastatic breast cancer (MBC).  As there is not much I can physically do to support other women with breast cancer, this is my big chance to spread the word and debunk some myths about MBN.  I will be airing live on Monday Oct 8th, and am the 5'oclock guest.  Its only a 2 min interview and I will try to post links here and on my facebook page for those who miss it and want to view it later.

For those of you new to my blog, welcome- and I'm glad to share my journey with you.  To get you up to speed on how I discovered my cancer- read my first post "Long story short" and it will cover most of the highlights (or should I say lowlights).
 

Update on my health- I feel great!  But........ tumor markers say otherwise.  Last month my tumor markers were 165, now they are 188- yikes.  But all other lab results are good- most are even normal or on their way back to normal.  So what does this mean, my tumor marker has been climbing for several months now, and I just switched to Aromasin?  Next month we'll make a decision (maybe) to try something new.  TDM-1, a Herceptin antibody hooked to a chemo drug (DM) may be our next choice.  It will be FDA in November- so just in time.  I've heard from cyber-friends that there are little to no side effects with this one, as it targets only the cancer cells that over-express Her-2.  However I would have to stop my anti-estrogen therapy (Aromasin) because they haven't been tested together and could counteract each other.  So I'd be down to 1 "chemo" and as a bonus I would get to keep my hair!  This is great- but unnerving because the scientist in me says that the cancer will have a harder time becoming resistant to multiple therapies simultaneously, and this puts all our eggs in the one basket that is Her-2 over-expression.  We haven't even tested my bone mets to see if they still overexpress Her-2 (fingers-crossed).  But for now- I have no pain and life is good.  I'll probably even take Parker fishing today- when it warms up that is. 

3 comments:

  1. Kristin,
    I'm so glad you found me on FB and shared the link to your blog. I am awed and inspired in reading it. You remain in my prayers.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. TDM-1 in November, that is exciting news. While not ideal that you have to go off anti-estrogen therapy, this will be a totally new attack, hopefully coming out of left field and knocking the cancer cells on their ass! I will keep my fingers and toes crossed. Can they test your bone mets for Her2 expression, or are they just going to assume they do since they are from the same source?
    I will DVR the news on Monday night so I can watch it when I get home! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristin, saw your interview at 5 tonight; your courage is inspiring. I will keep you and your family in my prayers--for recovery, for peace, and for the knowledge that He holds you in the palm of His hand. Your are His child and His love is unconditional.

    ReplyDelete