Monday, October 8, 2012

Follow-up on interview

Friends and Guests,
I wanted to follow-up with my interview, as there was so much more I wanted to say but I forgot or ran out of time.  Oh and yes that is my real hair ;)

First off, cancer doesn't discriminate based on age, race, education or family history.  Everyone is at risk- but lets face it....we're all dying anyway.  I had no family history and was perfectly healthy prior to my diagnosis.

When I said stage IV is the only one that kills, I was trying to suggest that stage IV needs more attention and research focus.  Even when breast cancer is caught early (stages I-III), and women are "cured", 20% will become metastatic down the road.  No one is cured until they die of something else.  There are few advocates for metastatic disease because WE KEEP DYING!  We need to spread the word that early detection does NOT mean cured- and although research on metastatic disease is complicated and costly- it is an area that needs more attention. 

All cancers are different and some metastasize early and rapidly others are slow and lazy- everyone responds differently to cancer therapies AND absolutely NO ONE fights any harder than anyone else.  Rather they had a different type of cancer that responded to their particular therapy. 

Mammograms can work- but aggressive cancer can grow from nothing into something under 1 year too.  It is my opinion that mammograms catch a more lazy and treatable form of cancer. 

Here is the link to my interview:

http://www.kwwl.com/story/19767633/eastern-iowa-woman-speaking-out-about-metastatic-breast-cancer

3 comments:

  1. I watched your video clip and thought you did just fine. I would have been a nervous wreck. You looked beautiful and I loved your hair. You are a true warrior Kristin. Thank you for sharing everything you share!

    LeahM (from HER2 support)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just watched your interview Kristin via internet and you did well! You put a "normal face" onto a different type of cancer we don't hear much about. That is my opinion anyway! I am sure you got people talking and thinking, which is what should happen!
    I would have been so nervous and you just seemed to be talking to Tara Thomas like you knew her for ages!
    Now, don't forget, we are family so I get dibs on an autograph! Have a spectacular day! luv-k

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristin- Thank you for speaking out about this type of cancer. Best wishes to you and your family. Michelle

    ReplyDelete